Sunday, June 9, 2013

Homemade Blackberry Ice Cream

drinking: Shiner Ruby Redbird beer
listening to: 6AM by Fitz and the Tantrums


I had a lovely weekend filled with sleeping, good food, and some Blackhawks!  Much needed after this long, hot week of work.

Aaand this weekend, I finally purchased an ice cream maker.  I found a (sort of) cute ice cream maker for CHEAP and couldn't resist.  After talking with my mom about stealing hers for years, I figured I should just go and buy one.  And, naturally, I had to break it in the second I got it! 

There are so many interesting ice cream flavors out there today.  I encourage you to do some looking  in to the ice cream flavor world, ive seen strawberry balsamic, bacon, chocolate jalapeno. There's a ice cream place in Austin called Amy's that has some wild and delicious flavor combinations. Just a few weeks ago my mom had some ice cream with tequila in it at Amy's! So, so good.  Here is link to some funky Chicago based ice cream places.

My refrigerator was hosting some blackberries that were about to go bad, and instead of just freezing them I wanted to come up with a recipe to use them up.  After some research on ice cream making I found a good balance of healthy/creamy to satisfy even the sweetest tooth.  In this recipe I used greek yogurt, sweetened condensed milk, honey, and blackberries. That's IT! And it tastes absolutely decadent.  I don't know how I will resist eating the whole batch tonight.... yikes.
lovely pool of honey right there

I started by blending the blackberries, sweetened condensed milk, and honey with my beloved immersion  blender.
















Next, I folded in the greek yogurt to the blackberry puree.


















kinda weird, kinda cute?
Then I let my ice cream maker do the rest.



















And ta-da! My very first ice cream. SO creamy and refreshing.

omg I just want to dive in
Homemade Blackberry Ice Cream
Time: 45 minutes
Makes: 2 pints

Ingredients:
3 c fresh blackberries
3 c Greek Yogurt
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 c honey

Directions:
1. Using a conventional or immersion blender, combined blackberries, sweetened condensed milk, and honey.
2. Fold in greek yogurt until completely combined.
3. Follow directions on your manufacture's ice cream maker.

I think this may be my favorite blog post yet.... what do you think?
Follow me on twitter @veggie_ology, and pin this recipe below with the pin it! button.

Happy Cooking,
Nat

No comments:

Post a Comment