Sunday, June 16, 2013

Watermelon Salad

listening to: Daft Punk
drinking: iced coffee



Good afternoon! I've had two very productive mornings this weekend.  I always want to sleep in during the week, then when the weekend rolls around I can't sleep in and get up early.  My cat probably has something to do with that... he doesn't like sleeping in.

Yesterday morning I got up and headed out to the Saturday morning farmers market downtown Austin. I found some veggies, including PURPLE BELL PEPPERS! Yes- purple. I am so excited.  I haven't thought of what to make with them yet.  I of course took pictures of them, you can find them on my instagram @nataliesanders.

I absolutely love watermelon.  It is super summery and reminds me of my littlest sister.  Her and I once cut up an entire watermelon and ate nearly the entire thing in one sitting.  I mean, that's healthy right?

Watermelon salad sparked my interest recently.  I never thought about pairing a cheese, tomatoes, or any veggies with watermelon..

In my watermelon salad I included red onion, tomatoes, and feta cheese that I let marinate in balsamic for a good 20-25 minutes.




The salad itself is very simple.  I thinly sliced the red onion, and left the tomatoes and watermelon pretty chunky.  I did add some freshly cracked black pepper to taste at the end.  This salad gets better as it sits in the fridge for a bit.  I can't wait to enjoy it tonight for dinner!


juicy tomatoes and watermelon :)

Watermelon Salad
Time: 10 min
Makes: ~4 cups

Ingredients:
1 watermelon, cubed
5 tomatoes, diced
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 c feta cheese crumbles
balsamic vinegar to coat/marinate feta
fresh cracked black pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Marinate feta cheese in enough balsamic vinegar to coat the cheese for about 20 minutes.
2. Cube watermelon, dice tomato, thinly slice red onion.
3. Toss all ingredients, add black pepper to taste.
4. Let sit in fridge for at least 1 hour before enjoying.

You can feel free to add more tomatoes, or use less. Same for the onion, this salad is really about your right balance of flavor!

Follow me on twitter @veggie_ology and pin this recipe below using the 'Pin It' button.

Happy Cooking,
Nat


No comments:

Post a Comment