Sunday, March 10, 2013

Gluten Free Oatmeal Cookies

drinking: sun brewed tea
listening to: Otis Redding

I've been doing some research on gluten free recipes.  A few of my friends are gluten free, for various reasons, and I have considered going that route myself.  You should do some research in to why people are adopting a gluten free diet, and why more and more people are being diagnosed with celiac disease.  Please note, these cookies are not a healthy cookie by any means (2 sticks of butter.... holy yum). I do, however, bake with mostly organic ingredients!


I have never made a cookie, or any baked good for that matter, without flour.  But these cookies turned out pretty great! I did some research on different gluten free recipes and combined a few ideas. Naturally, I decided to add some chocolate chips.












I made it a special point to purchase gluten free certified oats (from Trader Joe's).   Also, you can find gluten free baking powder! 












This recipe requires grinding a portion of the oats until very fine. I used my regular blender for this, but a food processor would definitely be more ideal.  Well, to be honest, I used my hand blender first but made a huge mess.  Do not do that...














Then adding the rest of the dry ingredients, including plenty of cinnamon and a leavening agent.


















Next, using my glorious vintage kitchenaid (grandma's hand-me-down when I moved to Indiana!) I whipped the butter and sugars and added the dried ingredients.
















is there anything better than whipped butter and sugar?


After folding in the additional oats and the chocolate chips they cookies were ready for the oven.!
These cookies will be brought to work this week. They make a ton of cookies and are perfect for sharing.

a monster cookie!
Gluten Free Oatmeal Cookies
makes: 2 dozen
time: 10 min prep, 15 min bake

Ingredients:
4c gluten free old fashioned oats
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp gluten free baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
3/4c sugar
1/2c light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1c chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Grind 1.5c of the oats until very fine. In a bowl combine ground oats with cornstarch, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a stand mixer, beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
4. Gradually add the oat mixture slowly, until combined.
5. Fold in the chocolate chips and the rest of the oats with a spatula.
6. Drop dough in mounds (about 2 tbps) on to baking sheet lined with parchment paper, about 2 inches apart.
7. Bake 15 minutes, or until the edges are browned.  Let bake 2-3 more minutes on baking sheet after you take out of the oven, then move to cooling rack.  Let them cool completely before moving them too much as they will be crumbly.

What other gluten free recipes do you guys have? I am new to this way of cooking.. please share!

As always, you can pin this recipe by clicking the button below.  Also, follow me on twitter!

Happy Cooking,
Nat
@veggie_ology



No comments:

Post a Comment