Sunday, March 24, 2013

Raspberry Chia Seed Jam

listening to: Andrew Bird
drinking: chamomile tea


I didn't do too much cooking this week, so I was craving something fresh this morning.  I recently purchased a bag of chia seeds from Trader Joes and have been throwing them in to smoothies and on top of greek yogurt.  I stumbled across this amazing recipe on Pinterest (here) for a raw raspberry jam made with chia seeds and just had to try it!













little loves
Chia Seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are found in other plant oils like hemp oil or flaxseed oil.   Chia seeds are also what chia pets are made out of! They become gelatinous when you add water to them, so they are excellent to add to smoothies to add volume and texture to your smoothies.  If you have ever had Kombucha with chia seeds, then you know just how gelatinous they get!


This jam was very simple to throw together.  First, I mashed a container of organic raspberries.

action shot!

Next, I added the chia seeds and some organic white sugar.  You can control how sweet you want to make your jam.  I added about a tablespoon, and it's not super sweet.















And thats it! I ended up spreading it on some toast to try.  It would also be excellent stirred in to some greek yogurt, added in to a smoothie, spread on a sandwich, really anything goes.  I found a cute little jar to put it in too :)



a lovely way to start my sunday
Raspberry Chia Seed Jam
Makes: 1/2c
Time: ~10 minutes

Ingredients:
1 container organic raspberries
1 tbsp organic white sugar 
1 tbsp chia seeds

Directions:
1. Mash raspberries with a fork.
2. Add sugar and chia seeds, stir.
3. Let sit for a half hour.
4. Enjoy! Store in a jar or air-tight container in the refrigerator.

I can't wait to use the rest of this jam throughout the week! If I come up with something crazy that I use it on I will tweet it out on @veggie_ology.  For all of you meat eaters out there, this would be excellent on a toasted turkey or chicken sandwich! 

Don't forget to pin it for later!

Happy Cooking,
Nat
@veggie_ology




1 comment:

  1. LOVE this! Chia seeds are the coolest... my roommates and i made a chia seed pudding with almond milk the other day ~Liz

    ReplyDelete